Student Assistant, Library West Collections Services

 
  • University of Florida
  • United States
  • May 4, 2021
Casual

Job Description:

Classification Title:

Student Assistant

Job Description:

Work Schedule:

This position will begin work in the Summer 2021 semester. Adjustments to this schedule will be made on an as-needed basis. Current need is for 15-20 hours per week. This position has the potential to continue employment into the Fall 2021 semester dependent upon availability, performance, and an active Federal Work Study award for Fall 2021.

Job Description:

As a member of the Library West Collection Services team, reporting to the Collections Services Manager, Collections Services Assistant, and the Collections Services Student Assistant Manager; the Student Assistant performs a variety of services, which will ensure the successful operations at the heart of Library West – Accurately re-shelving a high volume of circulating materials in a timely manner. Re-shelving books will take up approximately 60% of your workload, while the remaining 40% includes assigned projects, and various tasks: shifting sections of the library to new locations, dusting, blocking, shelf-reading taking statistics, and other duties as assigned.

Library West Operations:

  • Organizes large volumes of circulating materials by the system of classification known as Library of Congress.
  • Walks established routes through the library to locate materials that are not in use, and must be re-shelved.
  • Maintains working knowledge of competencies required of the system of classification known as Library of Congress staff and of UF Libraries ‘policies.
  • Assists patrons with questions about the collection and library policies.
  • Through Aleph, checks the status of materials within the collection and understand their status and location.
  • Shifts sections of the collection to allocate space for incoming material.
  • Processes materials shifting between in/out of house collections.
Expected Salary:

$8.86/hr

Minimum Requirements:
  • Communicative with the Collections Services Manager in a timely manner with any schedule changes
  • Analytical –High attention to detail
  • Ability to work effectively and cordially with a diverse population
  • Self-motivated and comfortable with a high level of autonomy
  • Basic computer skills: experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
  • Capable of maintaining multiple ongoing projects

This position is open to all students who are eligible to work on campus and will be employed through student Other Personnel Services (OPS) and must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average. Registered students are employed on a part-time basis, up to 20 hours per week.

Preferred Qualifications:
Special Instructions to Applicants:

Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.

Health Assessment Required:No